Abbreviations used in this paper:cFLIP (cellular FLICE/caspase 8-like inhibitory protein), ER (endoplasmic reticulum), FFA (free fatty acid), FADD (Fas-associated protein with death domain), FasL (Fas ligand), fasudil (5-(1,4-diazepan-1-ylsulfonyl)isoquinoline), GS-9450 ((5R)-N-[(2S,3S)-2-(fluoromethyl)-2-hydroxy-5-oxooxolan-3-yl]-3-isoquinolin-8-yl-5-propan-2-yl-4H-1,2-oxazole-5-carboxamide), HSC (hepatic stellate cells), IDN-6556 ((3S)-3-[[(2S)-2-[[2-(2-tert-butylanilino)-2-oxoacetyl]amino]propanoyl]amino]-4-oxo-5-(2,3,5,6-tetrafluorophenoxy)pentanoic acid), IL (interleukin), JNK (c-Jun N-terminal kinase), MCD (methionine/choline-deficient), MCP-1 (monocyte chemotactic protein-1), MLKL (mixed lineage kinase domain-like protein), NAFLD (nonalcoholic fatty liver disease), NASH (nonalcoholic steatohepatitis), NF-κB (nuclear factor kappa B), NK (natural killer), NKT (natural killer T), NLRP3 (NLR family, pyrin domain containing 3), PUMA (p53 up-regulated modulator of apoptosis), RIP (receptor-interacting protein kinase), ROCK1 (Rho-associated, coiled-coil containing protein kinase 1), TNF (tumor necrosis factor), TNFR (tumor necrosis factor receptor), TRAIL (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand), TRAIL-R (tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand receptor), VX-166 ((3S)-3-[[(2S)-2-[3-(methoxycarbonylamino)-2-oxopyridin-1-yl]butanoyl]amino]-4-oxo-5-(2,3,5,6-tetrafluorophenoxy)pentanoic acid), VX-740 ((4S,7S)-N-[(2R,3S)-2-ethoxy-5-oxooxolan-3-yl]-7-(isoquinoline-1-carbonylamino)-6,10-dioxo-2,3,4,7,8,9-hexahydro-1H-pyridazino[1,2-a]diazepine-4-carboxamide), VX-765 ((2S)-1-[(2S)-2-[(4-amino-3-chlorobenzoyl)amino]-3,3-dimethylbutanoyl]-N-[(2R)-2-ethoxy-5-oxooxolan-3-yl]pyrrolidine-2-carboxamide)
Modes of Cell Death
- Yamada K.
- Mizukoshi E.
- Sunagozaka H.
- et al.
Necroptosis in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis
- Barreyro F.J.
- Holod S.
- Finocchietto P.V.
- et al.
Pyroptosis in Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis
Cell Death as a Driver of Inflammation
Death Receptor Signaling and Inflammation
Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis and Inflammation
Cell Types Involved
Inflammation as a Mediator of Fibrosis
- Barreyro F.J.
- Holod S.
- Finocchietto P.V.
- et al.
Rho-Associated Kinase 1 Inhibition
- Inflammation and fibrogenesis in steatohepatitis.J Gastroenterol. 2012; 47: 215-225
- Cell death and cell death responses in liver disease: mechanisms and clinical relevance.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147: 765-783.e4
- Autophagy in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 5: 159-166
- Apoptosis and necrosis in the liver.Compr Physiol. 2013; 3: 977-1010
- Necroptosis. N Engl J Med. 2014; 370: 455-465
- Translocation of mixed lineage kinase domain-like protein to plasma membrane leads to necrotic cell death.Cell Res. 2014; 24: 105-121
- Plasma membrane translocation of trimerized MLKL protein is required for TNF-induced necroptosis.Nature Cell Biol. 2014; 16: 55-65
- Survival function of the FADD-CASPASE-8-cFLIP(L) complex.Cell Reports. 2012; 1: 401-407
- Loss of caspase-8 protects mice against inflammation-related hepatocarcinogenesis but induces non-apoptotic liver injury.Gastroenterology. 2011; 141: 2176-2187
- Fatal hepatitis mediated by tumor necrosis factor TNFalpha requires caspase-8 and involves the BH3-only proteins Bid and Bim.Immunity. 2009; 30: 56-66
- Caspase-1-induced pyroptotic cell death.Immunol Rev. 2011; 243: 206-214
- Regulation of inflammasome signaling.Nat Immunol. 2012; 13: 333-342
- Inflammatory caspases are innate immune receptors for intracellular LPS.Nature. 2014; 514: 187-192
- Sterile inflammation in the liver.Gastroenterology. 2012; 143: 1158-1172
- Characteristics of hepatic fatty acid compositions in patients with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Liver Int. 2014; (Published online)
- Inhibiting triglyceride synthesis improves hepatic steatosis but exacerbates liver damage and fibrosis in obese mice with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2007; 45: 1366-1374
- Triglyceride accumulation protects against fatty acid-induced lipotoxicity.Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2003; 100: 3077-3082
- Plasma total and free fatty acids composition in human non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Clin Nutr. 2002; 21: 219-223
- Lysophosphatidylcholine as a death effector in the lipoapoptosis of hepatocytes.J Lipid Res. 2008; 49: 84-97
- Mechanisms of lysophosphatidylcholine-induced hepatocyte lipoapoptosis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012; 302: G77-G84
- Apoptosis in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: diagnostic and therapeutic implications.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2011; 5: 201-212
- Hepatocyte apoptosis and fas expression are prominent features of human nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Gastroenterology. 2003; 125: 437-443
- Activation and dysregulation of the unfolded protein response in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2008; 134: 568-576
- Death receptor 5 signaling promotes hepatocyte lipoapoptosis.J Biol Chem. 2011; 286: 39336-39348
- Cell death. Opposing unfolded-protein-response signals converge on death receptor 5 to control apoptosis.Science. 2014; 345: 98-101
- Saturated fatty acids induce endoplasmic reticulum stress and apoptosis independently of ceramide in liver cells.Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 291: E275-E281
- CHOP and AP-1 cooperatively mediate PUMA expression during lipoapoptosis.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2010; 299: G236-G243
- Transcriptional regulation of Bim by FoxO3A mediates hepatocyte lipoapoptosis.J Biol Chem. 2007; 282: 27141-27154
- Palmitoleate attenuates palmitate-induced Bim and PUMA up-regulation and hepatocyte lipoapoptosis.J Hepatol. 2010; 52: 586-593
- Safety and antitumor activity of recombinant soluble Apo2 ligand.J Clin Invest. 1999; 104: 155-162
- Free fatty acids sensitise hepatocytes to TRAIL mediated cytotoxicity.Gut. 2007; 56: 1124-1131
- Vismodegib suppresses TRAIL-mediated liver injury in a mouse model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e70599
- Increased hepatotoxicity of tumor necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand in diseased human liver.Hepatology. 2007; 46: 1498-1508
Idrissova L, Malhi H, Werneburg NW, et al. Trail receptor deletion in mice suppresses the inflammation of nutrient excess. J Hepatol. Published online. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jhep.2014.11.033.
- Diet associated hepatic steatosis sensitizes to Fas mediated liver injury in mice.J Hepatol. 2003; 39: 978-983
- Enhanced sensitivity to CD95-induced apoptosis in ob/ob mice.Dig Dis Sci. 2007; 52: 2396-2402
- Lack of Fas antagonism by Met in human fatty liver disease.Nat Med. 2007; 13: 1078-1085
- Gene expression of tumor necrosis factor alpha and TNF-receptors, p55 and p75, in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis patients.Hepatology. 2001; 34: 1158-1163
- Hepatocyte apoptosis, expression of death receptors, and activation of NF-κB in the liver of nonalcoholic and alcoholic steatohepatitis patients.Am J Gastroenterol. 2004; 99: 1708-1717
- Free fatty acids promote hepatic lipotoxicity by stimulating TNF-alpha expression via a lysosomal pathway.Hepatology. 2004; 40: 185-194
- Probiotics and antibodies to TNF inhibit inflammatory activity and improve nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2003; 37: 343-350
- TNF-alpha is not the cause of fatty liver disease in obese diabetic mice.Nat Med. 2001; 7: 2-3
- RIP3, a novel apoptosis-inducing kinase.J Biol Chem. 1999; 274: 16871-16875
- Mitochondrial antiviral signaling protein defect links impaired antiviral response and liver injury in steatohepatitis in mice.Hepatology. 2011; 53: 1917-1931
- A positive feedback loop between RIP3 and JNK controls non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.EMBO Mol Med. 2014; 6: 1062-1074
- Hepatocyte caspase-8 is an essential modulator of steatohepatitis in rodents.Hepatology. 2013; 57: 2189-2201
- The pan-caspase inhibitor Emricasan (IDN-6556) decreases liver injury and fibrosis in a murine model of non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.Liver Int. 2014; (Published online)
- Pan-caspase inhibitor VX-166 reduces fibrosis in an animal model of nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2009; 50: 1421-1430
- Caspase-1 as a central regulator of high fat diet-induced non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.PLoS One. 2013; 8: e56100
- NLRP3 inflammasome activation is required for fibrosis development in NAFLD.J Mol Med (Berl). 2014; 92: 1069-1082
- NLRP3 inflammasome activation results in hepatocyte pyroptosis, liver inflammation, and fibrosis in mice.Hepatology. 2014; 59: 898-910
- Atherosclerotic plaque destabilization: mechanisms, models, and therapeutic strategies.Circ Res. 2014; 114: 214-226
- Tumor necrosis factor.Cancer Lett. 2013; 328: 222-225
- Non-canonical kinase signaling by the death ligand TRAIL in cancer cells: discord in the death receptor family.Cell Death Differ. 2013; 20: 858-868
- Kinome profiling of non-canonical TRAIL signaling reveals RIP1-Src-STAT3-dependent invasion in resistant non-small cell lung cancer cells.J Cell Sci. 2012; 125: 4651-4661
- Emerging role of tumour necrosis factor-related apoptosis-inducing ligand (TRAIL) as a key regulator of inflammatory responses.Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2009; 36: 1049-1053
- Fas/CD95-induced chemokines can serve as “find-me” signals for apoptotic cells.Mol Cell. 2013; 49: 1034-1048
- Roles for chemokines in liver disease.Gastroenterology. 2014; 147: 577-594.e1
- Extracellular vesicles: biology and emerging therapeutic opportunities.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2013; 12: 347-357
- Kupffer cell engulfment of apoptotic bodies stimulates death ligand and cytokine expression.Hepatology. 2003; 38: 1188-1198
- Lipid-induced toxicity stimulates hepatocytes to release angiogenic microparticles that require Vanin-1 for uptake by endothelial cells.Sci Signal. 2013; 6: ra88
- Body fluid exosomes promote secretion of inflammatory cytokines in monocytic cells via Toll-like receptor signaling.J Biol Chem. 2013; 288: 36691-36702
- The liver as an immunological organ.Hepatology. 2006; 43: S54-S62
- Markers of activated inflammatory cells correlate with severity of liver damage in children with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Int J Mol Med. 2012; 30: 49-56
- Hepatic recruitment of macrophages promotes nonalcoholic steatohepatitis through CCR2.Am J Physiol Gastrointest Liver Physiol. 2012; 302: G1310-G1321
- Kuppfer cells trigger nonalcoholic steatohepatitis development in diet-induced mouse model through tumor necrosis factor-alpha production.J Biol Chem. 2012; 287: 40161-40172
- Altered hepatic lymphocyte subpopulations in obesity-related murine fatty livers: potential mechanism for sensitization to liver damage.Hepatology. 2000; 31: 633-640
- Dietary factors alter hepatic innate immune system in mice with nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2005; 42: 880-885
- Endoplasmic reticulum stress, hepatocyte CD1d and NKT cell abnormalities in murine fatty livers.Lab Invest. 2007; 87: 927-937
- Accumulation of natural killer T cells in progressive nonalcoholic fatty liver disease.Hepatology. 2010; 51: 1998-2007
- Metabolic activation of intrahepatic CD8(+) T cells and NKT cells causes nonalcoholic steatohepatitis and liver cancer via cross-talk with hepatocytes.Cancer Cell. 2014; 26: 549-564
- NKT-cell subsets: promoters and protectors in inflammatory liver disease.J Hepatol. 2013; 59: 618-620
- Dendritic cells limit fibroinflammatory injury in nonalcoholic steatohepatitis in mice.Hepatology. 2013; 58: 589-602
- From NAFLD to NASH to fibrosis to HCC: role of dendritic cell populations in the liver.Hepatology. 2013; 58: 494-496
- Systematic review of risk factors for fibrosis progression in non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.J Hepatol. 2009; 51: 371-379
- Apoptosis: the nexus of liver injury and fibrosis.Hepatology. 2004; 39: 273-278
- Apoptotic body engulfment by a human stellate cell line is profibrogenic.Lab Invest. 2003; 83: 655-663
- Hepatocytes-derived microparticles released during lipotoxicity induce hepatic stellate cells activation and migration.Hepatology. 2013; 58: S574A-S575A
- Caspase 3 inactivation protects against hepatic cell death and ameliorates fibrogenesis in a diet-induced NASH model.Dig Dis Sci. 2014; 59: 1197-1206
- The caspase inhibitor IDN-6556 attenuates hepatic injury and fibrosis in the bile duct ligated mouse.J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2004; 308: 1191-1196
- Impact of pan-caspase inhibition in animal models of established steatosis and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis.J Hepatol. 2010; 53: 542-550
- A phase 2, randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study of GS-9450 in subjects with nonalcoholic steatohepatitis.Hepatology. 2012; 55: 419-428
- Fatty acid and endotoxin activate inflammasomes in mouse hepatocytes that release danger signals to stimulate immune cells.Hepatology. 2011; 54: 133-144
- Caspase-1-mediated regulation of fibrogenesis in diet-induced steatohepatitis.Lab Invest. 2012; 92: 713-723
- Lack of interleukin-1α or interleukin-1β inhibits transformation of steatosis to steatohepatitis and liver fibrosis in hypercholesterolemic mice.J Hepatol. 2011; 55: 1086-1094
- Toll-like receptor 9 promotes steatohepatitis by induction of interleukin-1beta in mice.Gastroenterology. 2010; 139: 323-334.e7
- Targeting IL-1 in inflammatory disease: new opportunities for therapeutic intervention.Nat Rev Drug Discov. 2004; 3: 330-339
Conflicts of interest The authors disclose no conflicts.
Funding This work was supported by the National Institutes of Health National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases [Grant DK41876 ] (to G.J.G.) and by the Mayo Clinic.
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution - NonCommercial - NoDerivs |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works (except for the author)
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
Elsevier's open access license policy